2 August 2012

It's that time of life...

I'm that age when people around me are announcing their pregnant!
Not only is it exciting news in itself but it means I can drool over some extra soft wool and gorgeous patterns. There is nothing better than a handmade blanket as a baby gift! At least a blanket will last longer than a jumper that will be too small within months.

Personally I have a preference for blankets that are crocheted. I'm not sure why, maybe it's because comparatively to knitting I do a lot less crochet. I also feel that crochet generally provides a thicker fabric which is cosier and comforting for our precious little ones. Here's a picture of the one I've just finished (still awaiting for the imminent new arrival). This one is crocheted in King Cole Bamboo Cotton which was lovely and smooth to use. I made the stripes random and think it works well. Thank you Attic 24 for this pattern. A lovely pattern with great illustrated instructions. Simple but effective.


Having said all that I've chosen to knit rather than crochet my next blanket, mainly because I've only recently finished a crocheted one. I thought knitting one would give me some variety. I must say I'm enjoying the way it's starting to come together. It must be the easiest thing I have ever knitted but I am loving the colours. It's the first time I've used this yarn and I would recommend it. It's called Creative Cotton Aran by Rico Design and it's cheap at only £1.89 a ball; BARGIN!
I've used five colours:  Pistachio (41), Light Blue (32), Cardinal (11), Vanilla (62), and Cherry (65) which I bought in Get Knitted in Bristol.
I know it's the simplest pattern ever but it's great for a quick project in front of the TV or an ideal beginners project. It could also be a perfect answer to all those scrap bits of yarn in your stash....I'll post the pattern once it's complete. 


No comments:

Post a Comment